Making a complaint about noise

Pages in Making a complaint about noise

  1. 1. You are here: Making a complaint about noise
  2. 2. Contacting the council to complain about noise

We have a duty, in the case of most of the noise complaints, to investigate them in accordance with the provisions of the law.

It is possible as an outcome of a complaint that legal action will be taken against the person about whom the complaint is made.

It is therefore a serious matter for the complainant, the person being complained of and the Council.

It is usually not possible to investigate a complaint without the evidence of the person being affected by the noise (the complainant).

Further, it is not unlikely that that evidence will need to be presented to a court at some later date, and that the person who provided the evidence to the council will need to appear, in person, in court to act as a witness.

It is almost never possible therefore for the council to investigate a noise complaint made by a person who wishes to remain anonymous.

Though the Council does not actively seek to release complainant's details during the early stages of an investigation it may become obvious to the person being complained of who has complained due to the particular situation.

Any information provided to the authority will be kept either in files or on computers and may be released at a later date to any person who is able to obtain it through legal means (the person about whom the complaint is made, for example, may be able to obtain information under some circumstances).

We will, of course comply with the provisions of the Data Protection Act.

What we will do

In dealing with your complaint, we will:

  • be courteous, professional and consistent in approach
  • try our best to respond to your complaint within 4 working days and in all cases will respond within 10 working days
  • give you the name and contact details of the person dealing with your complaint
  • keep you informed of the current situation regarding your complaint
  • try to find practical solutions to the problem
  • take the appropriate legal or informal action when required
  • ask our customers what they think of our service
  • review our service regularly.

What you can do

Be polite and courteous when dealing with council staff and the person about whom you are complaining.

  • explain the problem to the person making the noise and try to reach a compromise
  • keep a record of all conversations and letters
  • carefully complete any records that you are asked to by council staff investigating your complaint - for example a written record of the dates and times of any disturbances. You can download noise record sheets (PDF) and guidance on how to complete noise record sheets (PDF).
  • accept that investigating a noise nuisance takes time and the council's resources are limited
  • be prepared to support the investigation and any subsequent action - in court if necessary
  • let us know in advance of events that are likely to be a serious problem
  • tell us of any changes in circumstances
  • accept that sometimes we may be unable to resolve the problem
  • be prepared to compromise
  • tell us what you think about our service
  • let us know if you are unhappy with the outcome or if you think we are not meeting our standards.

Important Note

All persons must use their premises in a considerate and reasonable manner, and which respects the rights of others to enjoy their properties and to have a reasonable level of wellbeing. Should any complaints be made that the use of premises is unreasonably interfering with the reasonable enjoyment of another’s property or affecting their wellbeing, the Authority hereby gives notice that it reserves the right to issue complainants with equipment to record intrusive and unreasonable noise with a view to providing this information to the Authority, or using it themselves, to take appropriate steps, including issuing legal proceedings to deal with the issues arising.

Report noise nuisance