£150 Government Council Tax energy rebate

This page provides information about the £150 rebate on Council Tax bills announced by the Government to help households in bands A-D with rising energy bills. The page will be updated as more information about the scheme becomes available.


You will receive a £150 Council Tax rebate payment if on 1 April 2022:

  • your property is in Council Tax band A to D (including those in Band E that receive a disabled band reduction)
  • your property is your sole or main residence
  • you are liable for Council Tax and the property is not categorised as:
    • a second home
    • an empty home
    • a house in multiple occupation
    • exempt (other than specified exemption classes)
  • the liable party is not a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body

If you already receive help with your Council Tax because you have a low income you will still get help. This includes if you have a 100 per cent council tax reduction and have nothing to pay.

If you receive a payment and your circumstances have changed and you do not qualify for the payment, then you must contact the Council.

You can check your Council Tax band on your bill, or on the ‘Where I live’ section of our website by putting in your post code.

Further guidance for councils has been published on the details of the rebate scheme and how it will operate: guidance - GOV.UK

Receiving the payment

Direct debit customers

If you pay your Council Tax by direct debit, the payment will go directly into your bank account. We started making payments week commencing 25 April and the vast majority have now ben paid.

If you pay your Council Tax by direct debit and your property is in Bands A to D but you have not yet received a payment, it may be that the name on the bank details that we hold for you does not match the person named on your Council Tax account. In these cases, we are making additional checks before making the payment. If you have checked your details and are sure that the name of the person who pays by direct debit is the same as the person named on your Council Tax account and you have not received a payment, please email energyrebate@reigate-banstead.gov.uk.

Non-direct debit customers

If you do not pay your bill by direct debit, we will contact you by post inviting you to make an online application. Due to the volume of people to be contacted, we will be sending the letters in batches from the end of May and into June.

If you have received a letter with instructions on how to apply, please click on the ‘Apply' button below and follow the instructions on screen and on your letter.


If you don’t already pay your bill by direct debit, we recommend you consider signing up, as it will make receiving the rebate quicker and easier.

All payments for the main scheme will be made by the end of September.

Scam warning!

Please be aware that a new scams are in operation where fraudsters are pretending to be from councils to help people claim the Government’s £150 energy rebate. So please don't get taken in by any hoax calls, emails, texts or websites claiming they can get you your money quicker.

In one scam we are aware of, criminals are cold calling residents asking for bank details for them to receive the payment.

We will NOT call to ask for, or to verify, your bank details over the phone to administer this rebate, and we will not be paying anything in the form of a voucher.

Households who pay Council Tax by direct debit will receive the payment from directly into their bank account so do not need to do anything. For those who pay other means, we will be send letter with details of how to claim.

If you think you may have handed over your bank details or made any payment to a scammer, then please contact your bank and report the matter to Action Fraud on 0300 1232040.

If you get a message that you believe to be fraudulent, you can report it to your mobile phone provider or by forwarding the message to 7726, a free reporting service provided by phone operators. You should also report the scam to Action Fraud to help others avoid falling victim in the future.

Sign up for TS Alert, the fortnightly newsletter from Trading Standards, to keep up to date with the latest scams.

To ensure that we continue to prevent fraud and loss to the public purse, we will not be providing details of Council Tax account numbers or related property information via the telephone or email. You can find your Council Tax account number and Property Valuation Band on your annual Council Tax bill. You can also find the Council Tax band for your property online at GOV.UK.

Other information

Households can exercise their first right of appropriation on the £150 payment, which means your bank can not use this payment to pay off any overdraft. A sample letter that you may wish to use to exercise this right of appropriation is available from National Debtline.

Discretionary scheme 

In addition to the £150 rebate, the Government has made funding available for discretionary payments. We will be finalising this scheme in May, and will then contact eligible households.

We will provide more information here once details of the scheme are confirmed.