Elections taking place on 6 May 2021
Pages in Elections taking place on 6 May 2021
- 1. Elections taking place on 6 May 2021
- 2. Coronavirus: How we will protect voters and staff at polling stations
- 3. You are here: Apply to work at elections
3. Apply to work at elections
9 March 2021 - Thank you for your interest, we have now allocated all our jobs for May 2021.
Are you interested in helping us run local and national elections? Each year we appoint hundreds of casual staff at election time to make sure that the process is run smoothly, in an open and transparent way.
We are also always looking to recruit casual staff to assist us with the annual canvass each autumn.
Read more about the different roles available below.
Polling staff are responsible for the conduct of the election in each polling station, making sure that the proper procedure for voting is followed.
Count staff are responsible for counting the votes. This will take place at Donyngs Leisure Centre, Linkfield Lane, Redhill, RH1 1DP from:
The count is expected to finish by 6pm on both days, however staff may be required to finish earlier or later depending on when the election results are declared.
Each autumn, canvassers are appointed by the Electoral Registration Officer to visit properties where the occupants have not returned their annual canvass form. This is to ensure that all eligible residents are registered, and that those who are no longer eligible for inclusion on the register are removed.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to work in a polling station or as a counting assistant.
- If you are not currently employed by Reigate and Banstead Borough Council you will need to provide your National Insurance number, and proof of Right to Work in the UK.
- If you are registered unemployed, you are advised to consult your local unemployment benefits office before you accept any offer of employment, we may make you.
- Polling and count staff must not work on behalf of a candidate during an election campaign, nor be related to a prospective candidate.
- Polling staff must have access to an email account and a PC, laptop or smartphone, as information and training will be delivered online.
- You should only apply to work at the elections if you are available and willing to work on 6-8 May 2021. Please note that this type of work is classed as an essential public service, therefore please ensure that you would be comfortable and remain able to work even in the event of any further lockdown period.
- Further information about health and safety for staff is available on our website.
Register an interest
If you are interested in applying for any of the casual positions above, please complete and return the expression of interest form. Should we have a suitable requirement we will contact you regarding your availability in due course.
If you've worked for the Reigate and Banstead election team within the last 3 years you don't need to complete an expression of interest form. Keep an eye on your online staffing account as that's where we'll be sending offers of casual work for your review.