Outdoor Playing Space Provision SPG
This page provides information about Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) on outdoor playing provision.
Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) is produced by the Borough Council to provide extra guidance on and the interpretation of Local Plan policies.
The Outdoor Playing Space Provision SPG was adopted on 12 December 1996.
- to define outdoor playing space
- to set out the methodology for calculating outdoor playing space requirements for proposed housing development
- to outline the type(s) of playing space provision required
- to describe the design principles for outdoor playing space in residential areas
- to set out what happens if requirements cannot be met on site
- to outline arrangements for future ownership and maintenance.
Its key messages
- the advice enables outdoor playing space requirements to be considered at the earliest possible stage in the development process, to ensure the design and layout integrates with the overall development
- the standards are based on the NPFA Six Acre Standard.
UpdateThe Reigate & Banstead Borough Local Plan 1994 Proposed First Alteration 2000 updated the Local Plan Policies Re 6 and Ho 9 regarding provision of outdoor playing space on housing sites across the Borough.
All new residential development should make provision for or contribute towards outdoor playing space. Specific land allocations for public open space in Horley are covered by Policy Hr 33.
These updated policies should be read in conjunction with this SPG.
Download the SPG
Last updated : 30/04/2009