Local Distinctiveness Design Guide SPG
This page provides information about the Local Distinctiveness Design Guide, one of the Council's supplementary planning guidance documents.
Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) is produced by the Borough Council to provide extra guidance on and the interpretation of Local Plan policies.
The Local Distinctiveness Design Guide was adopted on 11 March 2004.
- to provide advice to those involved in the design of housing or mixed use schemes to help achieve the highest design standards
- to outline the policy context and explain how past development has been influenced by the area's geology and evolution
- to explain the variety of character currently found in the Borough
- to outline the factors and design principles that the Council will take into consideration when determining a planning application.
- we, and designers should, consider how their development proposals reflect the distinctive character of its particular locality
- the Guide will help to enhance design standards without necessarily increasing costs, reduce any adverse impact on adjacent property and improve the quality of the environment.
Obtaining the document
You can download the separate sections of the document below. All PDFs open in a new window.
- Cover of the Local Distinctiveness Design Guide
- Part 1 - Introduction
- Part 2 - Local Distinctiveness and Character
- Part 3 - Character Areas
- Part 4 - Planning and Design Principles
- Part 5 - Case Studies
- Appendices of the Local Distinctiveness Design Guide
Last updated : 30/04/2009