Banstead Woods and Chipstead Downs
This page is about Banstead Woods and its countryside day which takes place in September each year.
Banstead Woods is one of three sites of Special Scientific Interest that we maintain under guidelines from Natural England.
Banstead Woods (previously known as the Banstead Park Estate) was a deer park in the medieval period sheltering the royal deer (enclosed in 1439). In 1598 Banstead Park was stated to contain about 160 acres. It belonged to the Spencer family in 1841 when the name changed to Banstead Wood.
Wildlife of Chipstead Downs
Volunteers from the Woodchips Volunteer group have recently begun producing pictorial guides to wildlife that can be found in the Chipstead Downs Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Although the guides concentrate on the Chipstead area, you might see the wildlife that is depicted anywhere that has a chalky soil. In the borough of Reigate and Banstead this is in the area around the North Downs.
The list will be added to as time goes on so don’t forget to check from time to time.
Banstead Commons Conservators
The Banstead Commons Conservators (BCC) manage 1350 acres of Metropolitan Common land in the Borough of Reigate & Banstead (Banstead Heath, Burgh Heath, Banstead Downs and Park Downs).
Banstead Downs and Park Downs are designated as Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and Burgh Heath and Banstead Heath are Sites of Nature Conservation Interest (SNCI).
Last updated : 09/03/2015