Preparing for Universal Credit
Pages in Preparing for Universal Credit
- 1. You are here: What is Universal Credit?
- 2. Getting ready for Universal Credit
1. What is Universal Credit?
Universal Credit is a scheme set up by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It is a single monthly benefit payment for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. Although Universal Credit is run by DWP, not the Council, we are here to support you.
It replaces six current benefits –
- housing benefit
- child tax credit
- income support
- employment and support allowance
- working tax credit
- jobseeker’s allowance.
From the end of October 2018, more people in our borough will start being moved across to Universal Credit. This includes:
- people who make their first claim for a benefit
- people who have a change in circumstance that would traditionally have moved them from one benefit to another.
Everybody who remains on a current benefit will move over to Universal Credit in the next few years.
You can find more information about Universal Credit at the gov.uk website.