Borough Council Elections - 3 May 2018
Pages in Borough Council Elections - 3 May 2018
- 2. You are here: Becoming a Candidate
2. Becoming a Candidate
Many people choose to stand in local elections as a representative of a political party, but individuals can stand in their own right as an ‘independent’. Candidates who stand on behalf of a political party will have gone though a formal selection process.
Read more about being a councillor:
To stand as a councillor you must:
• be aged 18 or over
• live or work in the borough, or own property there.
• not work for Reigate & Banstead Borough Council or hold a politically restricted post at another council.
• not be bankrupt or have been sentenced to prison for three months or more in the past five years
• be nominated and seconded and supported by eight other electors from the ward you want to stand in.
For further information on qualifications and disqualifications see the full guidance on the Electoral Commission website.
Candidate and Agent information
If you have any queries please contact email@example.com.