Benefits advice for landlords

Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

If people rent their homes from a private landlord, move address or make a new claim for benefit on or after the 7 April 2008 they will be subject to the rules known as Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

Those not covered by the rules are:

  • council tenants
  • Housing Association tenants
  • tenants who have a registered 'fair rent'
  • pre 1989 tenancies
  • tenancies provided by charitable or voluntary organisations which include care,support or supervision
  • tenants of caravans, mobile homes and house boats.

For more information see our section on Local Housing Allowance.

Tenants' claims

Your tenants can get a Housing Benefit application form online, see Housing benefit & Council Tax reduction form

If your tenant is elderly and housebound or has a disability, please tell them to ring Benefit Services on 01737 276497 and we will arrange a home visit or for the application to be completed over the phone to help them claim Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance.

Benefit is normally paid from the Monday after we get the claim form.

Details needed for a claim

When tenants claim Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance they will need to give us proof of their:

  • household income
  • savings
  • identity
  • rent liability
  • rent payment or deposit.

We can only accept original documents. Photocopies cannot be accepted.

If the tenant does not have all the proof we need, get them to send the claim anyway and send the proof later. If they don't claim promptly, they may lose money.


Nextstep is as rent deposit scheme run by YMCA East Surrey to help people secure private rented accommodation in the Borough.

Nextstep can help you find tenants for your property or rooms, and in some circumstances can guarantee the deposit. We offer support for both the tenant and the landlord. The Service is completely free.

To find out more information or obtain a Landlords pack please use the following methods:

  • Telephone on 01737 378482

  • Write: Nextstep

YMCA East Surrey

Hillbrook House

68 Brighton Road

Redhill RH1 6QT

  • You can also visit the YMCA Website (Opens new window) for further information.



What happens after the claim is made?

When we have the claim and all the proof we need, we will work out their Housing Benefit. We will then write to the tenant and tell them how much they will get. We deal with most claims within 14 days.