Taxi and Private Hire - existing drivers
This page contains information for existing hackney carriage or private hire licence holders.
Notify the licensing department about change of circumstances or vehicle damage
If you need to notify the Council of:
- Changes of name or address
- Change of vehicle ownership
- Report vehicle damage
You must report this using our online change of circumstances form. The form can be found on our tell us about a change of circumstances page.
Unfortuantely we can't accept notification over the telephone or by email as we need specific detailed information that you are prompted for on the form and we must have the changes logged in writing from yourself.
Renewal of your licence
The Council will send one reminder by post with the information you will need to renew your licence, the application forms can be downloaded below. The application forms are the same as those for new applicants and can found on the apply for a taxi licence page. Driver reminders are sent out as a courtesy to drivers around eight weeks before the expiry date of the licence, vehicle and operator reminders are sent around six week before expiry. It is the drivers/operators responsibility to ensure you renew (if applicable). Please allow plenty of time for the Council to process your renewal, we are currently experiencing high renewal volumes and vehcile bookings at our depot at the moment so please act early so as to not be unduly delayed in our renewal process.
New procedure for renewing drivers
As of 29 December 2016, we are operating a new procedure for renewing your driver licences without the need for an appointment at the Town Hall. Until 1 April 2017 this new procedure for renewing drivers is optional (as there is a three month time lag with our reminder letters we send out and subsquent instructions contained within). If you would like to continue using the old way of renewing with an apppointment please let us know when you telephone in to renew. The new procedure relates to completing DVLA and DBS checks online yourself. Further details of this are given below:
- DVLA Check: To complete this you will receive an email from a third party company called Licence Check. Please use the instruction document avaliable below to assist with your DVLA check.
- DBS Check: To complete this you will need to go online to www.onlinedisclosure.co.uk . Please use the same instruction document to assist with your DBS.
We have produced a easy to understand how to guide information document (PDF) that explains how to complete the DVLA and DBS checks. This can be viewed/downloaded below:
If you subscribe to the DBS update service we would need a copy of the certificate and your reference number. Further Information is included in the information document.
The Licensing Team are notified electronically about the result of these checks. There is no need to contact the team, we will only contact you if we need to clarify anything.
You will also need to supply to us:
- Completed Application Form (Private hire or Hackney Carriage License)
- Passport (Copy of original passport photograph and name pages)
- Evidence of your right to work (Copy of British Passport, Biometric card etc.). Please note the original will need to be produce to us at some stage before a license can be issued.
- Recent Passport Sized Photograph (photograph to meet similar criteria as to that of a Passport Application);
All documents above are available on the apply for a taxi licence page.
Please send these preferably electronically by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with driver application and your driver number in the subject line.
If you don't have access to a personal computer you may be able to get access to a computer through your operator or from a public library.
- Medical Form (If you are over 45 years old or have a medical condition which needs a yearly licence you will need supply a medical form completed by yourself and your registered GP before we are able to licence you. This can be submitted to us after the initial application, as to not undue delay to your application.) Blank forms available on the Council’s website.
The Department of Transport has offered guidance on how drivers can help to stay safe: