Street trading licence

Pages in Street trading licence

  1. 1. You are here: Street trading licence
  1. 2. Apply for a street trading licence

Street Trading is defined as the act of selling any article, or product, from the public highway. An offer to sell, such as a ‘For Sale’ notice displayed on the windscreen of a car, does not necessarily constitute street trading.

In general, it is the policy of Reigate & Banstead Borough Council to discourage street trading, other than that confined within well regulated and administered street markets. 

As a rule, all of the Borough’s major roads and those roads leading from them, up to their first junction, are Prohibited Streets for the purposes of street trading.

You do not need a Street Trading Licence if you are:

  • a pedlar trading door-to-door, under the authority of a pedlar certificate issued by the police. 
  • a news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals.
  • trading with permission on private land. However you are advised to contact us so that we may confirm licensing requirements. The landowner may also need planning permission. 
  • selling anything in a market or fair.
  • trading in a trunk road picnic area.


The duration of street trading licences is usually annually renewable (can last for up to 3 years but not less than 6 months).


It is the policy of Reigate & Banstead Borough Council to prosecute individuals, or businesses, found to be trading on the public highway without appropriate permission. As such we enforce against:

  • Those who do not hold a street trading licence and are engaged in street trading in the Borough.
  • Those who hold a street trading licence engaged in street trading in the Borough on a day not specified in the licence.

If you put up signs or stalls for the sale of produce or goods from the public highway (including the grass verge), without permission, you may be committing an offence.

Produce can be sold from the land on which it is grown but signs advertising such facilities must be clear of the highway and may require Planning Permission.

Any unlicensed use of the highway for the setting out of tables and chairs causes an unauthorised obstruction and inhibits the public’s right to the use of roads and pavements. Creating such an obstruction could mean that the Police become involved.

The penalty for the above is a level 3 fine on the standard scale.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. Your licence will only be issued to you when all the necessary inspections / checks have been carried out and the premises meets the required standards. The licence may also list additional site specific conditions.

Fees and Charges

For information on fees and charges please consult our licences and permit fees page. Currently we can only accept payment via cheque or postal order. We are in the process of working towards payment over the phone and online payment. Please make cheques payable to 'Reigate & Banstead Borough Council'. These can either be dropped into reception or posted in. Please ensure you write on the back of the cheque or postal order what the payment is for so we can cross reference this to your application. 

Further Information