Freedom Of Information

Pages in Freedom Of Information

  1. 1. You are here: Freedom Of Information
  2. 2. Other ways to request information
  1. 3. Public health funerals

Your rights under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives a right of access to recorded information held by public authorities. This includes Reigate & Banstead Borough Council.

Make an FOI request

Do check that we don't publish the information your require anyway. Some common requests are:

If you still want to make a request the easiest way to make an FOI request is to complete the online form below:

FOI request for information form

As well as the online form, there are other ways to request information.

What you can access and what is exempt

You can request any information that the council holds either on paper or as electronic records. 

Some information cannot be released and will be exempt from the terms of the FOI Act. A full list of exemptions is available on request. These exemptions cover such information as personal data about individuals, contractual details or information due for release in the future etc.

Cost of requesting information

The vast majority of requests will be processed free of charge although the council may charge a small fee for copying and postage.

Requests for information which involve a significant amount of Council time to locate, retrieve and extract the information may involve a fee. This would be notified to you and your agreement obtained to pay it before the request is processed. 

Time taken to produce the information

We will provide the information as quickly as possible and in any case within 20 working days, starting from the day after the request is recorded.

If a fee is required, the days between the dates on which a fees notice is sent to you and the day the fee is paid will not be part of the 20 working day time limit.

If the council requires more information to identify or locate the information requested and it has informed you of this, the 20 working day time limit will not begin until you have supplied that information.

When we do not have to give information

The council does not have to release information that falls under one of the exemptions contained within the FOI Act.

In these cases the council may need to apply a public interest test and consider whether withholding the information outweighs the public interest in disclosing it. Details of all categories of exemption are available on request from our Customer Contact team who can be contacted by using the contact us form.

Unhappy with our response?  

If you are unhappy with our response to your request, you may lodge a complaint under the council’s complaints procedure.  Details of how to do this will be provided with our reply to you.  If  you do complain, the Chief Executive will arrange for your request to be reviewed.

If you remain dissatisfied after this review, you may then ask the Information Commissioner to decide whether the council has dealt with the request correctly and within the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. 

If the Information Commissioner feels that the Council’s decision was unjust then the council may be forced to provide the information requested.

If you or the council are unhappy with the Commissioner’s findings then either party may appeal to the Information Tribunal.