This page tells you how members' allowances are reviewed and agreed.
Independent Remuneration Panel
The Independent Remuneration Panel has three members and is responsible for advising the Council on the type and level of allowances to be paid to councillors.
It meets up to three or four times during October to December each year. The panel considers:
- the roles and responsibilities of all councillors, including those with special responsibilities
comparative allowances paid by other councils and public bodies and hears evidence and representations to inform its conclusions regarding an appropriate scheme of allowances for this council.
Members of the panel
Members of the panel are not affiliated to the council either by membership of a local political party or by close association to any councillor or employee.
Whilst the Panel members are not required to have experience of local government it is important to have some experience of public life, be able to command respect within the council and to inspire confidence amongst residents of the borough.
Reports of the panel
Read the Report of the panel (PDF document [1.9Mb]) published in November 2012 and its recommendations for the members allowance scheme for 2013-14.
Members' allowance scheme
The members' allowances scheme for the municipal year 1 April 2012 to 31 March 2013 can be viewed below.
- Members' allowances 2013-14 (PDF document [78.2Kb])
You can also view a breakdown of members' allowances claimed in previous years, including basic, special responsibility, travel and IT:
- Record of payments 2011-12 (PDF document [82.6Kb])
- Record of payments 2010-11 (PDF document [207.7Kb])
- Record of payments 2009-10 (PDF document [165.7Kb])
- Record of payments 2008-09 (PDF document [57.9Kb])
- Record of payments 2007-08 (PDF document [69.1Kb]).
For further information, please contact Chris Cook on 01737 276024 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated : 21/12/2012