skip to content

Main navigation

Contact us details

Contact us

Reigate and Banstead Borough Council

Town Hall

Castlefield Road




Street parties

This page provides guidance for residents thinking of organising a street party, for example, to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee or an event as part of the Big Lunch. The guide supplements information provided by the Communities and Local Government (CLG) and lets you know what the Borough Council requires of you.

Organising small private street parties and fetes can be very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence. However, if you want to sell alcohol or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Licence.

What counts as a small street party?

The main difference between a small street party, fetes and larger public events are listed below.

Street parties and fetes:3 cartoon children picnicing

  • for residents or neighbours only
  • publicity only to residents
  • self organised.

Larger public events:

  • anyone can attend
  • external publicity (such as newspapers)
  • professional or skilled organisers.

Getting permission to hold a small street party or fete

If you want to hold a small street party or fete you will need to inform the Council. 

Your request should be made by using the downloadable PDF below. The form should be returned in accordance with the directions included within it: 

We will check that the views of everyone affected have been taken into account before giving permission for the event. 

You should allow four weeks notice before the day of the event as a minimum.

Larger public events attracting more people will require a different process.  If you intend to hold a larger event you should begin by reviewing our Temporary Event Licence page.

Closing a road for a party

If your street is used by through traffic you will need to send the council a traffic plan. This must show how much of the road is to be closed and an alternative route for traffic.

While the Council will make contact with emergency services and relevant bus companies on your behalf, you should ensure that if you have already made contact with them the names and contact details of the people who you dealt with are provided. 

We’ll also check with Surrey County Council that no road works are planned and that surrounding roads are still accessible.


There is no fee for this service.


If you are granted permission to close the road you will need to put up appropriate signs to inform road users.  The Council does not have road signs that you can borrow and recommends that you hire appropriate signs from a local hire centre. A selection of local hire centres can be found on the yellow pages website.

Insurance for a small street party or fete

The Council recommends that you should obtain Public Liability Insurance with a minimum cover of £2m.
Insurance starts from as little as £50. The costs can be split between residents or you could ask for donations to help cover them.

The Big Lunch and Streets Alive websites offer advice on getting insurance for small street parties.

Risk assessments for small events are not normally required, however, one may be required if the road you intend to close provides access to a wider residential area.

Other considerations for the day

You should ensure that:

  • emergency services can get access if they need to
  • if at all possible, someone trained in first aid is on hand
  • food has been prepared in a hygienic manner and stored at an appropriate temperature.

Food and safety 

The food safety section of our website provides information and advice about food safety and hygiene for the public.

Download our Food and safety fact sheet (PDF document [34.7Kb]) for people wishing to hold an event or street party.


Street parties and fetes:

  • for residents or neighbours only
  • publicity only to residents
  • self organised
  • no licences normally necessary if music is incidental and no selling is involved
  • no formal risk assessment needed
  • we recommend that you take out Public Liability Insurance with a minimum of £2m cover.

Larger public events:

  • anyone can attend
  • external publicity (such as newspapers)
  • professional or skilled organisers
  • licences usually needed
  • insurance needed
  • risk assessment common

Publicising your event

If you are planning an event to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and want to tell people about it, we can add it to our popular What's on page.

To have your information included on the What's on page, please fill in the Diamond Jubilee events listing e-form.

This form is not for event or road closure applications, it is to publicise your event only. If you are organising an event or would like to close your road please complete the appropriate form on this page.

Related websites

Your guide to organising a street party or fete (CLG website).

Further helpful tips, advice and support for organising a successful event can be found on the Streets Alive website and The Big Lunch website.

How to deal with some of the most common accidents - First Aid Guide – NHS Choices website.



Last updated : 14/05/2012

Footer links