This section is intended to help people looking for information about Help Shops.
Based in town centres throughout the borough, Help Shops can provide you with local information and answer your questions about Council services, linking with other statutory and voluntary organisations to give you the information and help you need.
Within the Borough there are five Help Shops, as well as Customer Services desks at the Town Hall in Reigate.
Help Shops were set up in the 1990s and received a Chartermark Award for excellence in public service in 1998, 2001, then in 2004 and 2007 as part of the Customer Services team. In 2009 Customer Services were awarded the prestigious Customer Excellence Award the successor to Charter Mark, this award was renewed in 2012 for a subsequent period of 3 years.
The Help Shops are funded by the Borough Council and advice is provided in partnership with Surrey County Council and other statutory and voluntary organisations.
What Help Shops do
- help with Housing/Council Tax Benefit queries
- provide information about refuse and recycling services
- help you report highway defects such as potholes, abandoned cars and broken street lights
- offer the facility to view local planning applications
- put you in touch with your local Councillor
- report your comments regarding Council services to the relevant department
- advise on help available for the elderly
- provide tourist information, accommodation or where to visit.
Using the web at Help Shops
You can access the Reigate & Banstead Borough Council website and other government sites at Banstead, Horley or Redhill Help Shops.
Since they opened the Help Shops have served more than 500,000 customers.
Below are just a few of the comments we have received from people we have helped.
- Visitor to Redhill Help Shop:
"This place is a mine of information. I picked up a leaflet on the YMCA fun run when I was here last and because of it, my girls took part, really enjoyed it and want to do it again next year. I always find something new when I come here."
- Visitor to Banstead Help Shop:
"Thank you so much for all your help and understanding. You have really taken some of the worry away for me."
"I've got absolute faith in all the Banstead Help Shop Advisers. I know if I ask them anything I get it done"
- First time visitor to Horley Help Shop:
"I see now why it is you are called a Help Shop. This has been a really useful visit, thank you."
- Advice 'surgeries' at Help Shops
- The award for Excellence achieved by Customer Services
For further advice about legal, money and other matters, you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Last updated : 04/09/2012