This section provides information and links relating to the Licensing Act 2003.
The law relating to alcohol sales, public entertainment and late night refreshment changed on the 24 November 2005.
The Licensing Act 2003 contains a number of measures which came into force on that day including one which allows licensees to apply for up to 24 hour opening.
Since 24 November 2005
- people who sell alcohol, or
- premises that supply alcohol or late night refreshments or
- premises that provide ‘regulated’ entertainment
need to apply to the Council for a premises licence or club premises certificate.
The Council reviewed its Licensing Policy in December 2010.
We have issued a range of information leaflets to help the public and businesses understand licensing issues and the new licensing act.
Online complaints form
For government-issued application forms and advice see
- Licence application search
- Council's Licensing Policy document (PDF document [292.8Kb])
- Llicensing Act advice leaflets.
Last updated : 23/02/2011