Health and safety
This section provides links to health and safety advice for businesses and employers, employees and the self-employed.
The council is responsible for the enforcement of health and safety law in the premises allocated to them.
Those premises include offices, shops, retail and wholesale distribution centres, leisure, cultural, hotel and catering premises.
The council's aims for the regulation of health and safety are to protect the health, safety and welfare of people at work.
They are also to safeguard others, mainly members of the public, who may be exposed to risks from the way work is carried out.
This section is intended for businesses and employers of all types, employees and the self-employed.
It offers advice on managing health and safety in the workplace, advice to new businesses and specific advice on a whole range of health and safety issues.
Most Health and Safety subject areas also include checklists which should make the process of reviewing health and safety compliance a far simpler exercise.
Service Plan, enforcement policy and service charter
The Health and Safety Service Plan (Word 7.0 document [112.6Kb]) outlines our activity for 2010/2011. This includes our inspection programme, and details of the project-based work we carry out.
Our enforcement policy (PDF document [869.4Kb]) which states the council's principles regarding our enforcement, enforcement options and possible penalties.
Our service charter (PDF document [97.9Kb]) which sets out the standard we srive to attain.
Health and safety advice
- Information for new businesses
- Equipment and materials in the workplace
- Health and safety procedures
- A safe working environment.
Download a copy of our popular Safety and Food Newsletter:
- Health and Safety Newsletter 2012 (PDF document [153Kb])
- Health and Safety Newsletter 2010/11 (PDF document [206.6Kb])
- Health and Safety Newsletter 2009 (PDF document [726.6Kb])
- Safety and Food Newsletter 2008/9 (PDF document [164.3Kb])
- Office of Public Sector Information website - where legislation can be freely downloaded.
- The main Health and Safety Executive website - Information on health and safety with publications and leaflets free to download or available to buy.
- HSE Books website - where priced publications can be ordered and free information leaflets can be downloaded.
Last updated : 25/03/2013